Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

humbled

Oh man. So you see, I went to preteen camp this week. I told my parents I wanted to drive myself to the church for departure on Wednesday and drive myself back home upon arrival at church yesterday. Something about being as independent as possible just makes me feel great. Well, on Tuesday night, they really didn't want me to drive myself, just because my car would be parked at church for a few days when it could be safe at home--a reasonable request. However, I really wanted to take care of myself, and my parents finally gave in and allowed me to do so. You're thinking I got in a wreck on the way to church? Well, that's incorrect, but God did humble me in a more subtle way. When we arrived at church yesterday--after a very long and loud ride with fifth grade boys--I got my stuff and went to put it in my car before going to help unload the preteen ministry stuff from the truck. I opened my trunk and put my stuff inside, including my water bottle, to which I had so [in]conveniently attached my car key with a carabiner.  I closed the trunk and then, to my horror, realized that I no longer had my beloved car key of independence, and my car was locked. Fortunately, my phone was in my pocket and not in my bag. With much frustration, but calm and collectedly, I called my dad and asked him to bring me my spare key. The event which I thought I had avoided occurred. I had to wait for my dad to bring my key so that I could get home. He might as well have just picked me up in the first place. So, the point of my long and maybe even boring story? Though I do not think God was telling me that I must ride with my parents every time they suggest such, I do believe that he used this somewhat embarrassing episode to humble me. To remind me that even though I am eighteen years old--as I so often remind my parents--I can make mistakes, whether big or small, with trivial or even devastating consequences.

This humiliating yet humbling experience made me think of James 4:10, which says, "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." God does not expect us to be perfect--though he does call us to obedience. He calls us to respond to our mistakes (and to our imperfection in general versus God's holiness) with humility rather than pride.

So, there you have it. For the first (and hopefully the last) time, Emily Knight locked her key in her car. Yep, I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment