It's been said that trying to describe God in words is like "trying to fit the ocean in a cup" (from a Josh Wilson song, 3 Minute Song). Well, somewhat similarly, I've been hesitant to blog about my summer because words do not sufficiently convey my experiences as a summer staff volunteer at JH Ranch. However, I want to share about what I learned over the summer. I won't even try to do so in one blog, even in ten. Over the next few months, nevertheless, I'll be doing the best I can to fit the multi-volume encyclopedia of what I learned and experienced over the summer into short (ha) blog posts.
First thing I would say I learned: Listen.
After probably a few days at the Ranch, I started to realize what value there is in merely listening. I would find myself sitting on the couch in The Bean (one of the girls staff houses) listening to girls from my age to a few years older than me, from different colleges, different parts of the country, different stages in life, talk for hours. I learned and gained so much just from listening to the life experiences, perspectives, and opinions of these awesome girls.
In addition to learning the value of listening and learning from my friends and peers, I learned how to better listen to teaching, in small and bigger settings. And by this, I don't mean that I am more able to sit still for long sermons or more able to remember what I'm taught. No, I mean that I learned how to approach opportunities to be taught--opportunities to learn. I acquired (even more than what I already had) a hunger for more--more truth, more wisdom, just more. And even more now that I'm home, God constantly reminds me to keep my ears open and to stay hungry and expectant. I approach classes, chapels, sermons, etc. with a kind of expectancy that I haven't had before. This semester alone, God has answered questions I've asked and taught me so much through a conglomeration of my classes, chapels, and church services. Literally a conglomeration. That part is important. These classes, chapels, church services, even conversations are great on their own, but the Holy Spirit is teaching me not only to listen to what's being taught but to listen to what He is teaching me. This means all day every day, classes, conversations, speakers, songs, books, you get the idea...my ears are attuned to the One who shows me truth. My brain has been like a big messy tangled game of connect the dots recently. Every time the Holy Spirit helps me make a connection in my overloaded brain, the picture becomes clearer. It's kinda fun. And it's only because I'm listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment